For a little fun this Friday, let’s follow Juan Tizol’s Perdido into the 1950s for a quartet of lively instrumental takes...
Mary Lou Swings in London
First up is the great Mary Lou Williams with this 1953 cut on the Vogue label:
Prado Brings the Mambo
Still in 1953, we have Pérez Prado with his mambo‑charged take on RCA Victor:
I’ve said before that I’m a total sucker for a Prado recording of a big‑band standard, and this one absolutely pushes that button.
Tex Goes Western Swing
Jumping to 1955, here’s Tex Williams on Decca, pushing my Western Swing button:
That was released on the same 45 rpm EP as Tex’s version of Take the “A” Train. If I’d been around in 1955, that side would’ve been worn down to a smooth circle!
Jordan’s Rare Detour
Also from Decca in 1955, here’s Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five:
This record from late in Louis's legendary run with Decca is interesting for a couple of reasons — not only is it a rare instrumental, but I think it’s the only number from the Ellington songbook that Louis recorded for the label.
Sammy Swings the Lyrics
Before we go, let’s sneak in a vocal version to remind ourselves that Perdido does have lyrics. We stay with Decca for Sammy Davis, Jr. in 1957:
That’s from the album Sammy Swings. Truth in advertising!
Buttons Pushed, Weekend Achieved
A lot of buttons got pushed today — that’s Friday Fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment